Friday, May 7, 2010

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes (Knees and Toes)

Days until Marathon: 359
Weight: 272.3 pounds
Distance: 2.4 miles (jog/walk)
Total miles: 9.6

It can't be that hard, right?

One foot in front of the other. Left, right, left, right. So on, and so on.

Walking is so easy that a one year old can do it. Running is so easy, it's the natural state of a toddler. As human beings, our evolutionary ancestors have been walking on land for oh, I don't know, ABOUT 500 MILLION YEARS. Most of that time has been spent RUNNING from something trying to eat them.

So why do I feel like an injured, three-legged, newborn giraffe every morning when I run?

I've actually LOST one of the basic skills of animal survival--being able to run away from a predator. So, how do I relearn an instinct?

When you sit in front of a computer for 8-10 hours a day, you don't spend much time thinking about head tilt, torso position, and stride length. So when my morning run felt like my lugnuts were loose, I did a little research on running form.

Turns out, according to RunnersWorld, I have 29 separate body parts that need attention at all times during my run: Head, eyes, neck, back, chin, shoulders, ears, arms, hands, legs, fists, fingers, palms, waist, lower-chest, elbows, forearms, torso, lungs, hips, pelvis, knees, feet, lower leg (below the knee), ankles, heels, midfoot, toes, and calves.

Who would of thought that, after all this time, my EARS were the problem?

So now I have a running technique strategy that will help me fulfill my goal to glide gracefully across the finish line of the full marathon in 51 weeks:
  1. Look at the horizon.
  2. Relax my shoulders.
  3. Relax my fists. Imagine myself trying to carry a potato chip in each hand without crushing it.
  4. Elbows at 90 degrees.
  5. Stretch my back straight and tall.
  6. Run with a potato chip in each hand.
  7. Short stride, under my torso.
  8. Potato chips...
  9. Pelvis is a bowl of marbles. Don't spill the marbles.
  10. Ankle flexed.
  11. Cheetos...Cool Ranch Doritos...Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles...
  12. Run springy and quiet.
***********************************************************

In all seriousness, the article from RunnersWorld is pretty good. Great tips in easy to understand terms.


Next time I run, I'll be focussing on stride length...and potato chips. I'll provide a progress update on that front next blog.

Mmmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment